The top 5 mistakes people make when buying a classic car.
Buying a classic car is one of the true joys in life. However, unless you’re incredibly handy around a toolbox, it’s important you avoid the 5 biggest pitfalls in classic car purchases:
- Don’t forego a pricier, well-sorted car because you want to find the best deal out there. Repairs and parts almost always cost way more than anticipated. And, one repair job usually uncovers additional repair needs. Spending a little more up front means spending far less down the road.
- Stay away from rust at all costs. A little rust almost always amounts to additional hidden rust. Rust is the ultimate enemy of every classic car in the world. Don’t believe us? Ask your favorite shop. They will never tackle a rust job without telling you, “There’s no telling what we’re going to find when we get in there.”
- Don’t get caught up in the numbers matching hype. So many people ask us whether a matching-numbers car will appreciate. The answer is, nobody really knows. Buy a car you’ll enjoy. This doesn’t mean we don’t think matching-numbers cars are cool, they are. But, most nice classics you see driving down the road aren’t matching-numbers cars, and they look plenty cool and drive just fine. So, if you want to use your classic without worry, don’t worry over matching numbers.
- Don’t expect perfection. Classic cars aren’t perfect. Frankly, they probably weren’t perfect the day they left the factory. Owning a classic car means things will go wrong and repairs will be needed. That’s part of the fun. Even if you’re not very handy, many simple repair videos can be found online. Invest in a nice toolkit and prepare to take on some repairs yourself. You may just find it incredibly satisfying.
- Put fun instead of investment intent as the number one criterium on your list of wants. Sure, authenticity, originality, value, etc… those all can come into play. But, none of those factors will matter if you’re not having fun with your car.
We hope your next classic car purchase is as great as you imagine!